About the Recipe
You can fill these nutritious oat and walnut bars with anything your heart desires! I like to use raspberry preserve (organic and very low sugar, of course), and homemade chia jam would go very nicely too.
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned (rolled) oats
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cups butter
1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped.
3 - 4 tablespoons filling of your choice
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) In a large mixing bowl, stir together oats, flour, lemon peel, and baking soda.
3) Melt butter in a small pan and then mix well into the dry ingredients.
4) Set aside 1 cup of the oat mixture and pat the remaining amount into an ungreased baking pan.
5) Bake for 20 minutes.
6) Remove from the oven and carefully spread raspberry preserve (or whatever you have chosen) on the baked crust.
7) Stir walnuts into the set-aside oat mixture and spread on top of the filling—Pat in very gently.
8) Bake an additional 25 - 30 minutes.
9) Cool in pan before cutting into bars.